I ran across a list of things to avoid in life. This list included drunk driving, smoking and even asking a girl out for the first time. Those things are list-worthy, don’t get me wrong, however, that list was a bit too general for me, but it did get me thinking along the lines of emotional and mental well-being, so I came up with this list.
10 LIFE MISTAKES TO AVOID
1. Thinking someone can make you happy. No one can make you happy. Happiness comes from within and doesn’t depend on circumstances or another living soul.
2. Not taking better care of your emotional life. Taking care of feelings and situations as they arise will save much heartache down the road.
3. Believing that people are basically good. Stick with me on this one. We’ve been taught that all people are basically good at heart. This can be argued. The heart is deceitful. Proceed with caution.
4. Not apologizing. Arguments happen, but don’t let them ruin life-long friendships or relationships. An apology goes a long way.
5. Not taking more risks. Life is short. Don’t let fear stop you from doing the things you want to do.
6. Rushing into marriage.This is a major decision in your life. Don’t rush into it, even if you are at “that age” and all your friends are getting married. Divorce is not something anyone has on their bucket list.
8. Thinking you’re too old. You are never too old to make a change and try or learn something new. In fact, it helps keep you young!
9. Not taking the time to discover what your values are. If you take the time to get to know what you believe, making decisions and life choices becomes a lot easier to do.
10. Not loving yourself. The importance of loving yourself is a huge thing. If you don’t love you enough to take care of yourself and respect the person you are, how can you expect to have a relationship with someone who will?
11. Bonus! Thinking you deserve something. This one is a little hard to swallow but…you don’t. Expectations are relationship killers. They. Just. Are.
That’s my list, though not an exhaustive one.
What would you add to this list?