My daughter was watching an old episode of 7th Heaven a few days ago and I was sucked in. Some things never change. I can’t resist 7th Heaven even to this day, although, thanks to my daughter, I’ve seen many episodes multiple times.
This particular episode was when the Camdens decided to join the modern world and get Ruthie a cell phone, and themselves phones as well.
I chuckled at the antics of the newbie cell phone usage and heard myself saying, “Who does that?” And “Nobody does that”. And then it hit me.
It was an exaggerated form of cell phone usage, but true on many levels, just like most television shows are, only now, it’s such a part of our culture that we no longer notice.
Cell phones are as common as air these days. No one thinks of it. We just use them. I remember when it wasn’t a given that someone had a cell phone. Not so today.
Don’t get me wrong, cell phones are great! So great that I decided to make a list of the things that cell phones have made better in our lives.
- Cell phones have given us the ability to get in touch with anyone we want (as long as we know their numbers) at any time we want.
- Cell phones has brought parenting to a whole new level. We have the ability to parent from afar.
- Cell phones has brought parenting to a whole new level. Our relationships with our kids are long-distance.
- Cell phones has allowed us to have long-distance relationships with anyone.
- Cell phones have given us an excuse to have long-distance relationships when we could have face-to-face.
- Cell phones have allowed us to spend more time playing the games we could only play at home on our computers.
- Cell phones have allowed us to take our addictions with us. Yeah, we’re going there.
- Cell phones have increased the porn industry by leaps and bounds.
- Cell phones have given us false courage. We can text instead of having face-to-face to settle a conflict instead of shooting off a bunch of inappropriate texts.
- Cell phones have given us the ability to have affairs or secret relationships.
- Cell phones have given us the ability to keep up with the news, keep up with sports and…AND keep up with the Jones as we look at what is going on in their lives, comparing their outsides to our insides and become even more unsatisfied with our lives than ever before.
Yeah, we’ve come a long way, baby. Cell phones are a very good thing for our society as a whole. It was an invention of ingenuity, yet it has enabled us to feed our me-focused world. We can take selfies CONSTANTLY, and post them on all the social media platforms or just that special one we choose. We can spend hours playing with those selfies, making them look funny, cute, silly, scary, sexy or however we want them to look.
I’m not anti-cell phone. I’m really not!
I am pro intentional about our lives. We only get one.
How have cell phones affected your life?
Disclaimer: I actually the wonderful world of technology for the photo in this post. 🙂